Thursday, March 17, 2011

Alcohol ruins your potential

My mom pleaded, my dad swore. Swore that he would stop. Swore that he had stopped. But he did not stop. Alcohol never resides alone. It shares a home with deceit, justification, resentment and anguish. I have seen alcohol destroy many a life, mine included. My dad was an alcoholic. In a perfect world, he would have stopped drinking when my mom asked him to. This is not a prefect world.

I have always wondered what our lives would have been like if my dad had not drunk. He was an amazing father, a hard worker, talented, funny and charming. But that was in spite of alcohol. How much more would he have accomplished without it? My dad did stop drinking, too late to save his marriage, but not too late to undo the hurt he caused his children. He was able to redeem himself, to set things right, to live up to his potential.

I have no words of wisdom for those who rely on alcohol to cope with life. Even when my dad was sober, we all knew he had a shadow following him. Somehow he found the strength to beat this enemy. It was his battle, and none of us waged it for him. I see the same struggle with other family members. I love them dearly, but I can’t fix them. When you’re a functioning alcoholic, you exist, you work, you marry, you have children, you’re alive, but you’re never truly living. How many people have wasted all the gifts they never knew they had on a cold, hard bottle? How much potential is buried in that one drink? I hope that, like my dad, others give themselves a chance to live without alcohol, to make it right, to find the strength to reach their potential.

Please SHARE me, LIKE me, FOLLOW me or DIGG me.

2 comments:

Blues G said...

This one really hit's home Aub! I'm glad your dad did enjoy some sobriety. I've been sober 6 year's and 2 month's...Yes,I count! Next to service and my wife, it's the most important thing in my life.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Aubrey,
I just found my way to your blog that I have heard such amazing things about. It's perfect! I am dealing with this same issue and I could have never said it as well as you did. What a great gift you have given me and sometimes it's just nice to know that other people are feeling the same. It might not be our parent but the feelings are basically the same. Thank you! :-)