Monday, May 30, 2011

I don’t believe in luck

“If it wasn’t for BAD luck he would have no luck at all.” I have heard this expression many times in reference to my family members. They are the unfortunate few that seem to never get a break, who always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and who only attract bad luck. So it may surprise you that I don’t believe in luck.

I don’t always make the right choices, but I have learned that I can adapt and make the best of a bad situation. Luck is giving up your control to chance. But most things don’t happen by chance. They happen by diligence and perseverance. The best inventions did not come from luck. They came from ingenuity and hard work. They came from years of persistence that led to one amazing day of discovery. But when the story is told, those details are left out and it becomes all about luck.

There are always random, unexpected events beyond our control. Sometimes these fall in our favor; other times we are dealt a bad hand. The ones who appear lucky are the ones who use the adversity as an opportunity to learn. They walk away from a negative experience with a new perspective and outlook on life. The unlucky can be playing with the same cards, but end up folding. They give up before the game gets exciting. The adversity creates bitterness and self-pity. They are poor losers.

My odds are 50/50. I can use hard work, a sense of humor, ingenuity and determination to tip them in my favor. I can look for opportunities as they arrive and let life teach me with the bitter and the sweet. I don’t believe in luck, but I do believe in myself!

No comments: